heavenly light

heavenly light

Monday 13 September 2010

LOVE MERCY

LOVE MERCY                    Tuesday – September 14, 2010

“He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” – Micah 6:8

During the early 1840’s, Methodist missionary Robert Rundle befriended Chief Maskepetoon, leader of the Cree Indians in the province of Alberta, Canada. Soon after meeting Maskepetoon, Rundle read him the Gospels. The chief was particularly moved by Christ’s commandment to love and forgive our enemies. The chief became a Christian that night. 
The next day a band of Indians was approaching in which was the man who had murdered Maskepetoon’s only son. Unknown to the murderer, the son’s murder was reported to Maskepetoon. 
As the band met Maskepetoon, he confronted the young man: “You deserve to die. I sent my son with you as his trusted companion. You betrayed my trust and cruelly killed my only son! You have done me and my tribe the greatest injury that is possible. You deserve to die, and if it wasn’t for what I heard from the missionary at the campfire last night, I would already killed you! The missionary told us that, if we expected the Great Spirit to forgive us, we must also forgive the one who has committed the greatest wrong against us.”
With deep emotion he continued, “You have been my worst enemy, and deserve to die!‘ But as I hope the Great Spirit will forgive me, I forgive you.” Then, Maskepetoon broke down and cried.  

Being merciful is one of the most difficult actions we can do. Today in prayer, praise Lord for His mercy and follow His example. 

“The essence of justice is mercy.” – Edwin Hubbel Chapin

God’s Word: “"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cummin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law--justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.” – Matthew 23:23

No comments:

Post a Comment