heavenly light

heavenly light

Thursday 24 June 2010

OH, HOW I LOVE JESUS Friday – June 25, 2010

OH, HOW I LOVE JESUS Friday – June 25, 2010

“Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.” – Deuteronomy 6:5

Frederick Whitfield was born in 1829 at Threapwood, Shropshire, England. He was the son of a minister. Frederick also went on to study for the ministry and was ordained in the Church of England.
In 1855, while he was a student at Trinity College in Dublin, Ireland, Whitfield was inspired to pen a hymn. In a few days, he wrote: “There is a Name I love to hear.”
In less than ten years after its first printing, the hymn began to appear in hymnals in America.
Churches on the western frontier and rural churches in the eastern states usually only had one copy of a songbook, and it contained only the words. The preacher or song leader would give the tune and then would "line out" the hymn by reading ahead line-by-line as the congregation sang the hymn. Somewhere along the way, an unknown song leader changed the chorus. Whitfield had written:
“O, how I love the Saviour's name
O, how I love the Saviour's name
O, how I love the Saviour's name
The sweetest name on earth”
But the song leader wrote:
“Oh, how I love Jesus,
Oh, how I love Jesus,
Oh, how I love Jesus,
Because He first loved me!”

Jesus did first love us. We are to love the Lord with all of our heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Today in prayer, praise the Lord and love Him with all of your heart.

“O how I love Jesus,
O how I love Jesus,
O how I love Jesus,
Because He first loved me.”
– Unknown song leader

God’s Word: “Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’” – Matthew 22:37

No comments:

Post a Comment