heavenly light

heavenly light

Friday 9 July 2010

Accept Your Limits 10 Jul 2010

Accept Your Limits 10 Jul 2010
'"You have... [circled] this mountain long enough; turn..."' Deuteronomy 2:3
Do you live overloaded and overwhelmed? Like a driver who's lost his way, instead of stopping to ask for direction you increase your speed until you run out of fuel and end up on the side of the road. We quote the promise: 'I can do everything through him who gives me strength' (Philippians 4:13 NIV). But God doesn't promise we can do everything we want to do, or everything people expect us to do, or everything others do. God will only give us grace to do what He calls us to do. Isaiah writes: 'Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall, but those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength..' (Isaiah 40:30-31 NKJV). Few things humble us like failure. God will let us circle the same mountain over and over until the scenery becomes so familiar that we're forced to stop and ask for direction-especially when we know in our heart that we're not where God wants us to be. In Let Your Life Speak, Parker Palmer writes: 'I was raised in a culture that insisted I could do anything; that I was without limits, given enough energy and commitment on my part; that God made things that way, and all I had to do was get with the program. My troubles began when I started to slam into my limitations...in the form of failure.' What's your most painful limitation? The one you won't admit? The one you don't want anybody to see? Acknowledge it. Seek honest feedback. Ask for God's help in accepting the limits He's placed on you for your own protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment