heavenly light

heavenly light

Wednesday 28 July 2010

DON’T BE A BURDEN Thursday - July 29, 2010

DON’T BE A BURDEN Thursday - July 29, 2010

“nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you. We did this, not because we do not have the right to such help, but in order to make ourselves a model for you to follow.” – 2 Thessalonians 3:8-9

In 1988, 49-year old Carl Davies, a gas fitter in Great Britain, suffered a heart attack. He could not continue to work and retired. He began receiving state benefits. His step-daughter has not worked for 30 years. Carl’s grand-daughter Emma has never worked. The 19-year-old Emma takes care of her two infants. The family lives together in a state run “council house.” There are some six million Britons who live off of government benefits.
"We seem to be left with a whole generation of young people today who think it's OK to live off the state,” said Carl. The worth ethic that my generation grew up with has died. My dad was a bricklayer, my mum stayed at home and I was brought up to work hard. I left school at 16 to take on an apprenticeship as a gas fitter.”
Carl has a dream for his grand-daughter: "I just hope she doesn't follow her mates into a life on benefits.”

The Lord never desires that we should never be a burden to others. Today in prayer, thank the Lord for the work He has given you and be diligent in all that you do.

“No one is useless in the world who lightens the burden of it for anyone else.” – Charles Dickens

God’s Word: “And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed. I have kept myself from being a burden to you in any way, and will continue to do so.” – 2 Corinthians 11:9

No comments:

Post a Comment