heavenly light

heavenly light

Wednesday 7 July 2010

The Importance of Worship (2)

The Importance of Worship (2)
Oh come, let us worship... Psalm 95:6
In his book Good Morning, Merry Sunshine, Chicago Tribune columnist Bob Greene chronicles his daughter's first year. When little Amanda began crawling, he records: 'This is something I'm having trouble getting used to. I will be in bed reading a book or watching TV, and I will look down at the foot of the bed and there will be Amanda's head staring back at me. Apparently I've become one of the objects that fascinates her...After months of having to go to her, now she is choosing to come to me. I don't quite know how to react. All I can figure is that she likes the idea of coming in and looking at me. She doesn't expect anything in return. I'll return her gaze and in a few minutes she'll decide she wants to go back to the living room and off she'll crawl.' The simple pleasure of looking at the one we love, is what we enjoy each time we worship God and bask in His presence. And that's something we must take time to do, otherwise we won't. There's a danger in any doctrine that focuses only on what we want from God, and neglects the thing we were created and redeemed to do-worship Him (Revelation 4:11). How should we approach God? 'Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise...' (Psalm 100:4 NKJV). How often should we praise God? 'Seven times a day I praise You...' (Psalm 119:164 NKJV). Why should we praise God? '...That you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light' (1 Peter 2:9 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment